Here's my equipment:
- Swarovski AT 80 spotting scope (13 years old)
- Swarovski 20-60x eyepiece
- Swarovski tripod
- Foto Fennica SWA AT camera adapter with 27 mm adapter ring
- Nikon CoolPix AW100 compact digital camera
Swarovski makes a similar camera adapter called the DCA that would fit my eyepiece. This may be more stable. However, I plan on trying a different setup altogether for the following reasons:
- My scope isn't particularly suited to digiscoping since it's not HD.
- My eyepiece isn't particularly suited to digiscoping since it's not wide-angle.
- I think the digital camera base (DCB) by Swarovski would be more practical than the type of adapter I'm using, since it swings up and away for viewing and swings back quickly into place for taking photos, but the DCB doesn't fit my older model scope.
- A different compact digital camera that allows one to do more settings manually might be more suitable.
So, except for the tripod, that means exchanging every part of my equipment. I might as well get a new tripod too, since they're lighter these days.
What are your experiences with digiscoping? Please comment below.